Sunday, June 7, 2009

Santa Monica Pier, CA: That's All Folks

It wasn't what I pictured but what ever is? I didn't cry, just so you know. The important thing was I finished, ran right out into the ocean and dove in.

Surprisingly, what was moving wasn't reaching the coast, maybe if I had gone alone it would have been more moving for me, but I wouldn't trade the way things did end for anything. It was a mess, a random reporter, friends from survival school, family and a few more friends. No one knew what was happening. I didn't know whether to walk to the end of the pier or into the ocean, and everyone was trying to figure it out. I'm not accustomed to these kinds of messes anymore, I just keep going and before long the decision is made. I had a small reprieve doing a jig for the camera man and being sprayed with Champagne by my buddies that walked in the last 8 miles with me, then I headed down to the ocean.

Like I said, surprisingly, the water wasn't the most memorable thing, though jumping into the water felt good, it didn't feel finished, it was just too simple. Then we went to the park and slowly, those same friends and family showed up, a few couch surfers joined in and even a few more friends who were running late. What ended the walk was that, being there with people I knew and loved, joking those old familiar jokes and knowing that nothing would quite match just sitting in a room together and laughing. Several times I just sat with a dopey grin on my face watching my friends in way that might even seem creepy, but it was so simple that the only thing that could result was pure well being and happiness. People are the only version of home I know now.

I'll do a few more blogs here, and try to get two more videos up and then we'll see. Thanks so much for being a part of this.

6 comments:

Duygu said...

Yaaaayyyy!!! Congratulations man!

Sondra said...

WOW what a finish, sounds like you had lots of support and celebration!..Wonderful way to end the walk.

Jessica The Hun said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! On to the next big thing now, eh?

Megan aka Mmapula Reamogetse said...

That sounds like an incredible way to finish THE walk. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us...although my life is a little different than yours and we're going about journey's in different ways, since I've been reading your blog, I've always been able to relate to your words. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

marcandeliana said...

WOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Amazing walk! Thanks for sharing the tale. Memories made for a lifetime and more! Where to next?

Unknown said...

Awesome Skip. What a feat. Guess this means you have to turn around to get back right?