Friday, November 7, 2008

Hartwell & Athens, GA: The Deep South

Miles since last blog: 68.1

Yesterday's Route

Today's Route

The thing about Georgia is that I have always heard of it. That's not the case with a lot of states, but Georgia is different. Savannah, Atlanta, these are some of the quintessential cities that come to mind when I think of the Deep South. Crossing the Savannah river at the border into Georgia lived up to all my expectations. The beauty of the surroundings, the peach and song riff on the sign and the already dropped famous name of Savannah enveloped me. I felt deep fried and seasoned with southern flavors not one mile in.

Even the kindness has been amplified with the border crossing, as well as the appearance of a curious thing called to go drinks which you can take when you leave a restaurant. Yesterday I met two people on the road in Georgia, a deputy (I get stopped about every other day) and a man in his front yard just down the street from where I met the deputy. I gave them both my card and both contact me today via email or phone. One to tell me he thought I was crazy but after visiting the site was inspired (although he may still think I am crazy) and the other to find out how far I went and where I was going next, he had been impressed by me it seems.

It's nice to be in a place where people are effected by this so openly, to see that there is some outcome to this trip even before it is over. I feels good here, and very friendly.

No comments: