Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gainesville VIII: A New Hope

A short time ago, in a Gainesville far, far away . . .

It is a period of change. Rebel
walker, writing from a hidden
base, has won his first victory
against the evil Cubicle Empire.

During the battle, walker spies managed
to make secret plans against the Empire's
ultimate weapons, Boredom and Apathy, two
terrible things with enough
power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's evil finance scheme,
Skipwalker races home along the highways,
custodian of the secret plans
that can save his people and restore
freedom to the galaxy . . .

That would have been a lot more impressive had the words been floating through space, but you get the idea.

Okay, I know it's been like a year since I've written, literally. But after busting out almost 400 pages in a month i needed a small break. Tomorrow I hit the road again and hope that the road doesn't hit back.

New Years was a sweet surprise since it turned out I had a friend from Prague close by while she was visiting her parents and about to head off to Israel so I got to hang out and reminisce about P-town. As for the rest of my time since I finished writing, I've been watching a lot of movies, putting on a layer of blubber for the lean, cold times ahead and speaking Russian with my computer thanks to a Birthday Present from my parents. Oh yeah, I turned 30 yesterday.

I don't think anybody ever is sitting on the playground as a child and thought, "Where do I want to be when I'm thirty?" And then had the answer be, "Homeless and poor sleeping on couches and walking across the country." Probably not, I wanted to be Superman, but since that wasn't possible I guess this is a close second.

Yes, he's WalkingMan! Faster than a speeding armadillo (or so I infer from there vast dead numbers on the road), more powerful than a South Virginian Dog, and able to leap guardrails in a single bound. I'm probably not going to get my own comic book, but I can live with that. The walking is all the reward I need, except maybe some cash for food, but other than that, just the walking.

Before I had stopped to write, I was starting to slide towards a slightly dark place I admit, I could hear it calling, "Come to the Darkside young Skipwalker." But I am rejuvenated and fully ready to party with Ewoks, or start walking again, possibly both.

And now it is time to heed the glorious and sage words of 'The Village People' and, 'Go West!'

1 comment:

Kneece said...

yes, you are quite good at pointing out smashed armadillos by the side of the road. impressive. i thought it was a snake. :)