Saturday, February 21, 2009

La Grange, TX: The Boogie Boogie Bugle Boy, or, Company B

Miles since last blog: 42.6
Miles Total: 2246.3

Route

Midday blog, skip lower to get the full effect.

Only noon and I had already hit 15 miles, I'm sitting in a gas station in the city of Industry, TX, which at population 304 is less than half the size of my high school class. I'm feeling good. Today, it's raining. A guy on the road asked me if I wanted a ride up to the next town just before it started raining but I declined. A few miles and a bit of rain later, he drove by again asking if I wanted a ride now.

"How far is it?" I inquired.javascript:void(0)

"About two miles," He said. I declined again and for the first time in maybe the whole journey, I felt slightly heroic. It probably didn't hurt that I was in a cap and green poncho which make me look more than a little bit like Bruce Willis in 'Unbreakable' or that said poncho's back was flapping behind me in the wind in a fashion that looked more than a little like a cape.

It would have been very easy to take the ride, to ignore the pittance that is two miles in the grand scheme, but what a slippery slope. Just think: What Would Superman Do? Yeah, that's my dork coming out, but he's pretty hardcore and does the right thing generally.

The guy gave me some info on where there was food up ahead and that's why y'all are getting a nooner today. Admittedly, I feel a little less superhero-esque sitting in a gas station and resting, but to my credit, I'm getting a new sidekick tonight.

Stay Tuned!

Thanks for staying tuned!

Yeah, a while back I had a companion along for a bit named Free. Sadly, he left, as his name said he would, but now I have a new travel buddy named Cody, hopefully he'll be around for a bit too. His plan is to accompany me all the way to the coast. For the next few days, except tomorrow where I will play the part of Ivan Drago (See 'Rocky IV' and 'I will break you'), I'll be taking it a bit slower for his sake.

Our chosen destination to meet up was the Bugle Boy, a music club in La Grange where I was lucky enough to show up early and catch a great little blues show. If you have the chance to visit this place don't hesitate. After getting over my aching legs (see today's mileage) I was actually able to focus on the music and enjoyed it quite a bit. Over the last few years I've been getting more and more into blues and the one man acoustic show was a nice taste at the end of the long day.

Kodiak showed up a bit later, he's a big guy, quite a bit taller than me, those extra inches on his legs will serve him well I hope. I'm interested in how this will go with a partner, but we'll see in the future and I'm sure you'll here a lot more about him then so I won't bore you with the details now.

No comments: