Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fredericksburg, VA 10-07-08

Miles since last blog: 42.7 (+wrong turn)

Oh yes, the day was a far cry from those happy times last night of cookie dough ice cream and Breakfast at Tiffany's, but it is good to get moving again and we have a nice place to stay tonight as well. It was just the 44 miles in between that was a little tiresome, but worth it. Tomorrow looks like camping for sure, maybe with rain, it'll be a good change from the ordinary and make me appreciate the return of good weather in the future more.

Getting in cars when I am not walking does seem to be worth it. I was getting so focused on mileage every day that i was forgetting to experience the towns I visited. Tonight after dinner and a shower we headed out to a local bar, which was nice, and I got to see a bit more of the town too. The only reason I have a place to sleep tonight is because the other night when I went out dancing in DC with my host we met the most awesomely generous 3 minute bar friend ever who hooked me up with this place to stay (not her even, but a friend of hers). Yes kids, sometimes it pays to be sociable and go out, especially when it's getting so cold out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know Fredericksburg was the site of the of the most infamous battles of the Civil War? In 1862 General Lee was attempting to cross the Potomac to capture Washington, and it is known as one of the most on-sided battles of the Civil War. The successtionists whooped our asses. General Amrbose Burnside (great name, eh?) botched the whole deal, and South almost one. You will be encountering many such sites on your trek southward, and I will be sure to update you on the history of any Civil War battle sites you encounter.

Jackie