Friday, October 10, 2008

Midlothian, VA: Perspective

Miles since last blog: 17

Today I felt surprisingly rejuvenated. I was surprised to see that a 14+ mile day yesterday and a few tasty beverages now serves as a day of rest. The human body continues to astound me, I'd say my body, but I am pretty sure anybody could do this physically, it's the mental fortitude that's hard.

With that said, it's a lot about perspective. Originally, I just wanted to walk. I decided that if I was going to do this, I should try to help people as well and I formed PFEE.org (People for Educational Equality) and found something that I was very passionate. My reasoning more than anything comes from personal philosophy, even if it doesn't always seem like it, that own drum beat that my drum pounds out is fairly well thought out and planned. I wanted to find something that could really change something, something that would give as many people as possible the most opportunity to find happiness as possible.

For me the key to anything I've wanted has always been my mind, which I believe has a bit to do with the education I received. So I can try to give people opportunities they don't have by improving the educations they get with resources and programs. Then again, I haven't been getting the kind of donations or press that I had hoped for. I have received both some and I do believe that things are snowballing, but now is not the best time to be starting a non-profit.

Perspective is the word of the day. When I use that word feel free to yell and scream and run around yelling, "that's the word of the day!" The stock market is poop, yes, poop. it's less than 66% of what it was at last years high point. There is an election coming up and while for half of the country this will be a good thing, that means that for half the country it will be a scary and disappointing thing no matter who wins. Perspective. Are you yelling? C'mon, let's get pumped!

Fiscally, people aren't in a giving mood except for a few of you wonderful good samaritans who are great people. As I said, not a good time to start a non-profit. Still, it's a great time to make people happy.

I think the donations will come in time, but right now people are always happy, or even excited, to meet or see me. In a world plagued with problems, it seems I can remind people that good and amazing things are still happening, even if we are not sure what makes them good or amazing. Maybe even inspire a few people to realize that they can do something if they make the decision to. It seems to me after doing quite a few 'crazy' or 'weird' things that people say they couldn't do, the hardest part of any of them is always the decision to do them and the commitment to stay with them.

I can't change the world . . . this month, but in a world where the weather report in NYC calls for occasional stock-broker-like-precipitation, maybe I can make some people happy . . . and give them some perspective. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hi, I found you through couchsurfing and have been following your journey on your blog. I recently got back from a trip through the U.S., but it was more north-south and on a boat. Anyway, what you are doing is awesome, and I look forward to more posts. Though it may not be the best time to start a non-profit, I think it's a great time to go for a walk. If you happen go through Omaha, you've got a place to stay.