Sunday, September 28, 2008

Havre de Grace II: Return to Grace 9-27-08

Ahhhhh, aren't days off wonderful?  Or mostly anyway.  Well it looks like I have a place to stay tomorrow night again (where I am right now) which is good because a storm is coming in.  Then next week is sunshine for days, great traveling weather and by then I'll be looking forward to getting back on the road.

It felt great to rest and around 4:30 I even got a visit from an old friend from Prague who I was very close with.  There are times when this walk feels great and like there is nothing else I should be doing more, but for every path chosen there is one untaken.  

As much as this adventure calls to me, there is a part that is lonely at times.  It's not so bad most of the time  When you meet someone who you have a connection with or you see someone who reminds you of times with people in your life who cared (that you have actual face to face contact with) and then you have to leave them behind you again, well, it spikes that loneliness right into you.  It's not that I don't want that life, I do, I want friends and family and a life that's more permanent.  Still, there's a part of me that needs to do this or I'll never be able to devote myself to that life the way I should be able to.  

It makes for a very nice and very, very difficult day to go through this.  You are always thankful for the connection on the road and you try to be strong and leave or watch the other person leave, but afterwards, that's very difficult.  If the bridge tested my body and mind days like these test my heart.  Wow, that sounded cheesy.  

I need tomorrow off, but it will be good to get back on the road, focused and in that meditative peaceful state of perpetual movement.  After all this is over which will I opt for?  Settle down and form long lasting relationships or more adventure?  I don't know yet.

No comments: